To search, type one or more key words below.
ideas for action
This discussion of "action" is offered in the context of a general viewpoint.
It is possible that, as Why Religion Matters, by Huston Smith argues,
the next great accomplishments of humankind will be in getting along with each other.
Certainly the Civil Rights movement and its aftermath have set the stage for transformational change.
Now, after September 11, the New York Times reports that the "Hollywood Struggles to Create Villains for a New Climate
has opted for restraint to avoid accusations of bias and
the danger of offending audience sensibilities in an increasingly multiracial America".
While mankind may have been more destructive in the past century than in any prior century,
humankind also has risen to unprecedented acts of reconciliation.
in the new
Truth & Reconciliation Commission
the apologies of the
Mission Of Reconciliation
RaceMatters.org has been created with the viewpoint that those who wish to engage
the subject of Valuing Diversity are likely to be searching
in any or all of 3 ways: ideas for action, good information and personal journey .
We provide information and tools to help.
Be sure to visit What's New.
This is about the action you might take
to address conditions of prejudice and discrimination.
The following is a growing list of resources that might be relevant to your opportunities for "action".
You may find lots more using our search engine.
We'll appreciate your suggestions for more to add to this list,
either from material already in RaceMatters.org, or new material.
- Update from thataway.org, October 2007 (October 16, 2007;Sandy Heierbacher;thataway.org;; ; Update from, October 2007; by. THATAWAY....)
- The House That a Hope for Peace Built (December 2, 2006;Marek Fuchs;NYT;, New York Times, Religion Journal,,....)
- 2006 National Conference on Dialogue & Deliberation (July 22, 2006;Marketing Opportunities at the The 2006 NCDD conference will take place in San Francisco in just a couple of weeks, and it looks to be a phenomenal gathering of amazing people from all streams of dialogic and d...)
- Dismantling Racism in Our Town (August 13, 2005;Approximately 50 people under the auspices of four churches in Boca Raton have now conducted two workshops (May 21 and ) on how we can work towards Dismantling Racism....)
- Joe Ehrmann (August 29, 2004;Jeffrey Marx;Parade Magazine;He Turns Boys Into Men Published: Young faces usually filled with warmth and wonder are now taut with anticipation and purpose. Eyes are lasers. Hearts are pounding....)
- JAM & All (June 26, 2004;James D. Davis;SS;, South Florida Sun-Sentinel, S. Florida interfaith group has plans for expansion,....)
- MicroLending (April 29, 2004;Celia W. Dugger;NYT;Debate Stirs Over Tiny Loans for World's Poorest By CELIA W. DUGGER ORMA, Bangladesh Nearly every woman in this village seems to have gotten tiny loans to invest in a miniature business....)
- Belle Glade study circle picks actions to close racial gap (November 25, 2003;Rochelle Brenner;PBP;Tuesday, November 25, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Tuesday, BELLE GLADE -- Participating in study circles on race for six weeks was sometimes painfully honest....)
- Belle Glade Study Circle Intervention (November 25, 2003;Hanging Death In BelleGlade Study circles to share ideas about race Belle Glade study circle picks actions to close racial gap...)
- Study circles to share ideas about race (September 28, 2003;Rochelle Brenner;PBP;, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Sunday, BELLE GLADE -- While the city for months has been rocked by racial discord that attracted international attention, plans to ease long-simmering tensions were put on hold....)
- The Dialogue to Action Initiative (May 8, 2003;The National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation (NCDD) is a Coalition of organizations and individuals who are committed to strengthening and uniting the growing dialogue and deliberation community....)
- Buy a New Car or Build a Village? (April 11, 2002;Brian Kennedy;NYT;By BRIAN KENNEDY HEN Ramachandra Dhirendra sought $5,000 to refurbish the school bathrooms in Coimbatore, India, he turned to an unlikely source: an American online startup....)
- Facing History and Ourselves (October 7, 2001;Ellen Goodman;Moral lessons, 10/7/2001 IF YOU ARE looking for someone questioning the value of her work in the wake of Sept. 11, don't talk to Margot Stern Strom....)
- Update from ASDC, October 1, 2001 (October 1, 2001;The Association for the Study and Development of Community thanks everyone who has shared their events, stories, resources, and other information with us....)
- Things Communities can do to Ease the Pain and Stop Continued Violence, ASDC (September 18, 2001;This list is a compilation of events, activities, and information that are related to the recent attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, as well as the backlash against Arabs and other Muslims....)
- A Community Builders Tool Kit (The "Community Builder's Tool Kit" is a result of Phase I of a study at Institute for Democratic Renewal, School of Politics and Economics, Claremont Graduate University....)
- Intergroup Relations: Seven Promising Practices (NCCJ;The following are excerpts from this report....)
- One America Dialogue Guide (ONE AMERICA In The 21 st Century: The President's Initiative on Race ONE AMERICA DIALOGUE GUIDE Conducting a Discussion on Race March 1998 THE WHITE HOUSE WASHINGTON March 13, 1998 ...)
- Pathways to One America: Promising Practices for Racial Reconciliation (Pathways to One America In The 21st Century: Promising Practices for Racial Reconciliation is a reference guide of race-based programs....)
- Columbia University Directory of Anti-Bias Education Resources and Services (November 14, 1996;This directory of was created by Columbia University and last updated (on-line) on as determined by our downloading of this database on October 14, 2001....)
- Anti-Defamation League (ADL) (For more than 88 years, ADL has been combating anti-Semitism and bigotry of all kinds. Visit the ADL website....)
- Community Action Against Racism, Bucks County, Pennsylvania (MISSION STATEMENT: The purpose of Community Action Against Racism is to be an active, positive force to increase awareness of the presence of racism in our community and to take action to dismantle racism and i...)